CREATIVE DIRECTION COURSE
21st Mar 2024
LIVE ONLINE COURSE ON CREATIVE DIRECTION
13th Feb -
21st Mar 2024
TUESDAYS & THURSDAYS
Creative Directors wear many hats - we want to help you wear them well and accelerate your ascent to lead creative teams. Understand the unique practices, tools and skills required to pitch ideas effectively, manage clients, colleagues and projects, and aim to acquire agency awards.
Join Jon Elsom, Group Executive Creative Director at McCann, for this deep dive into key concepts including pitching like a demon, managing creative teams, and time and client management.
WHO THIS COURSE IS FOR
YOU WANT TO NAVIGATE THE CAREER PATH TO CREATIVE DIRECTOR
Feel like making the leap to Creative Director is a little daunting? We get it - but we can help. Gain the confidence, tools and skills you’ll need to aim high and make the step up to a Creative Director role.
YOU WANT TO GET CLEAR & PLAN YOUR FUTURE ASCENT
Get an in depth look at the creative industry and an understanding of what it takes to forge your path to a potential role as Creative Director. This multi-faceted approach will enable you to figure out where you’re heading and what to expect.
YOU WANT TO LEARN FROM AN INDUSTRY EXPERT WITH OVER 30 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Been promoted to Creative Director? Congratulations. Now gain access to an industry expert with over 30 years experience to help you optimise your performance and lead with confidence.
YOUR ASCENT STARTS HERE
Ready to take the lead in a creative team?
Learn the unique skill set required to perform exceptionally as a Creative Director - from spotting and nurturing innovative ideas, to delivering a strategic vision with tight deadlines.
Achieve, upskill and lead by example
Our live online course has been designed to thoughtfully combine team leadership skills with hands-on expert guidance, interactive workshops, extensive case studies and live industry insights from an expert instructor and 7 guest speakers.
ABOUT THE COURSE
Learn to pitch like a demon and hone your presentation skills with the chance to work on a project pitch throughout the course and deliver to the class in the final session.
Not only will you explore over 25 real life case studies, you’ll also gain access to a range of expert guest speakers from the top of the creative industry.
Alongside live online lessons, you’ll also take part in interactive workshops in different formats that will expose you to typical challenges experienced by Creative Directors.
Jon ElsomLinkedIn Profile
- Group Executive Creative Director at McCann
- On the UK Creative Council for McCann - developing some of the most significant creative projects for the biggest global award shows like Cannes, D&AD and One Show
- Multiple Cannes Lion Winner
- Took his previous agency from 50 employees to over 500+
- Brought McCann to be triple-accoladed with Cannes, Webbies and Effies
Jon Elsom COURSE INTRODUCTION
Tuesday 13th February at 6pm GMT
Creative Director – What’s All That About?
- Understand what the role of Creative Director entails and where they sit within a creative team
- Learn the specific qualities required to be an exceptional Creative Director
- Discuss your personal previous experience interacting with Creative Directors
Workshop 1: Group Breakout Session to discuss experience with Creative Directors
Case Studies: Harry Enfield; Carling Black Label; Electoral Commission
Thursday 15th February at 6pm GMT
Interrogating the Brief (Within An Inch Of Its Life) + Guest Speaker
- Learn how to turn a brief into a springboard
- Understand the importance of audience, insight and inspiration
- Work on improving and expanding on briefs provided
Guest Speaker: Senior Planner Q & A
Assignment #1: Idea Generation
Generate creative ideas from the lesson’s improved brief.
Tuesday 20th February at 6pm GMT
Creative Director: Time Bandit & Space Cowboy
- Learn how to implement strict boundaries around time and planning
- Understand the importance of planning a project over a fixed time scale
- Seek to protect space and leave room for ideas and creativity
- Delve into the role of Creative Directors in the hybrid working world
Case Studies: John Cleese; Heineken; NASA
Thursday 22nd February at 6pm GMT
Learning To Love (And Hate) Other People’s Ideas + Guest Speaker
- Comprehend the key parts of a Creative Director’s role
- Learn how to spot a big idea, yet keep things simple
- Understand how to offer feedback constructively
Guest Speaker: An Experienced CD
Case Studies: Southern Comfort; Guinness; Reef Relief
Assignment #2: Idea Review
You’re The CD - Review a selection of the ideas from Assignment #1.
Tuesday 27th February at 6pm GMT
Build a Killer Creative Department
- Learn how to lead effectively with hard work, and fun
- Understand how to approach difficult conversations
- Grasp the basics of helping others perform at their best - without stress
- Start to consider what type of Creative Director you aim to be
Workshop 2: Leadership Scenarios: analyse typical scenarios that Creative Directors could face and come up with solutions and strategies to overcome challenges
Thursday 29th February at 6pm GMT
Getting Close To The Right People + Guest Speaker
- Learn how to grow relationships beyond the Creative Department
- Grasp the business basics of dealing with clients and earning trust
- Understand the importance of picking your battles and navigating the big bosses
Guest Speaker: Senior Account Director
Case Studies: Refuge; NHS
Assignment #3: CD Perspective
Pick 1 completed piece of creativity that you think could have been better (yours or other). Say how you would have improved it if you’d been the Creative Director - including how you would have handled the changes with the client.
Thursday 5th March at 6pm GMT
Pitch Like A Demon 1
- Understand the importance of pitching and why it matters
- Learn the trade secrets of great pitching- from organising to idea collection
- Appreciate the importance of seeing the bigger picture, and sweating the small stuff
Pitch Deck Showcase
Workshop 3: Group Breakout Session: Pitch Theatre
Case Studies: Zulal Wellness Resort; Egypt Tourism Authority; Acer Predator
Thursday 7th March at 6pm GMT
Present Like a Guru + Guest Speaker
- Gain new (ninja) skills in order to present confidently in front of others
- Understand the importance of presenting both internally and to clients
- Appreciate the occasional need to make a fool of yourself and make it personal
Guest Speaker: Presentation Expert
Case Studies: Rory Sutherland; Charity Water; Kodak (Mad Men)
Assignment #4: Self-Presentation
Film a Self-Presentation of a Brand Manifesto.
Tuesday 12th March at 6pm GMT
Pitch Like A Demon 2
- Develop your confidence as a pitch leader and presenter
- Understand the importance of pitching effectively both within and outside your team
- Aim to pitch inspiringly using imaginative ideas and concepts
Workshop: Group Breakout Session: Live pitch session - bring one creative concept of yours and pitch it in an inspiring way, with imaginative pre-sell before you show it. Groups will vote on the best pitch and winners will present to the whole group and instructor
Thursday 14th March at 6pm GMT
Be A Media Mogul & Tech Wizard + Guest Speaker
- Gain a deeper understanding about how media drives everything
- Understand the importance of knowing your media and media-first thinking
- Appreciate the enduring power of film
- Learn to harness the power of AI
Guest Speaker: Film Director
Case Studies: Snickers; Addict Aide; Norwich City FC; Honda; Bimbo
Assignment #5: Alternative Medium
Think of an example of an existing, produced piece of creative work that could work well (or better) in an alternative medium.
Tuesday 19th March at 6pm GMT
Taming The Lions + Guest Speaker
- Discover why awards matter, and how to gain glory for your agency - and you
- Understand how to inspire, spot, nurture and build ideas
- Aim to play the long game when it comes to aiming for glory
Interactive - Zoom Poll: Bronze, Silver or Gold?
Interactive - Q&A with Guest Creative
Case Studies: Microsoft XBox; Google; Refuge; Metro Trains Melbourne
Assignment #6: Award-Worthy Idea Assessment
Assess and improve one of a set of early proactive ideas
Thursday 21st March at 6pm GMT
To Creative Director…and Beyond + Guest Speaker
- Recap on the key learnings of the course
- Consider what kind of Creative Director you will be
- Learn to navigate your career path - from Executive Creative Director onwards.
Guest Speaker: Newly Promoted Creative Director