BECOME AN AR/VR DESIGNER
6:30 PM UK Time
15TH MAY -
28TH JUN 2024
TUESDAY & FRIDAY
6:30 PM UK TIME
Explore the best practices in XR design, a place where art meets technology - and bring your ideas to life by creating your first AR experience and foundational AR Prototype.
Join Martyn Gooding, Microsoft, to unlock the power of creative problem solving within XR through his 360° approach to immersive experiences.
WHO THIS COURSE IS FOR
YOU WANT TO STAND OUT AS A DESIGNER
Learn how to apply the critical thinking and creative problem-solving required to excel as a professional designer. Gain the confidence to work with high end clients, designing innovative projects from ideation to completion.
YOU WANT TO OVERCOME TECHNICAL HURDLES
Want to apply your hard-earned design skills to a new and dynamic field, whilst retaining your creativity and innovation? Build on your design background and break through frustrating technical barriers.
YOU WANT TO GAIN STRATEGIES AND SKILLS FOR YOUR CAREER
Want to get set for success in this highly competitive emerging tech field? Gain usable strategies, plans and skills to showcase to future employers, and help to secure your dream role in AR/VR design.
Want to elevate your design education to unlock new worlds of possibility?
AR and VR are all about immersive experiences. Want to gain the skills needed to bring your ideas to life? Unlock ideas, concepts and your personal potential with a deep dive into the principles, theories and tools that will set your projects apart.
This course offers simple terms and specific outcomes- you’ll leave with a portfolio of work to show potential employers, and be equipped with usable plans, strategies and skills for a career in VR/AR design.
Connected and Creative Online Learning
Benefit from instructor office hours in addition to 14 live online lessons. Enjoy access to a Unity expert for any technical queries, as well as the opportunity to network widely with other professionals throughout the course.
- EMEA Creative Director
- AI, XR, Emerging tech at Microsoft
- Almost 15 years experience in Creative Design
- Has worked with companies including Ogilvy, Vivaldi, Farfetch, Jack Morton Worldwide (Film X)
- Oversees the EMEA region across Mixed Reality, XR, Metaverse and Emerging Technologies.
- Manages teams of local creative directors and designers
- Has a Cannes nomination for driving a Range Rover Sport across New York with Daniel Craig
Get introduced to Martyn and the themes of this extraordinary course
- Understand the course deliverables
- Discuss XR Designer Job Descriptions and Portfolios
- Cover key themes including Collaboration and Growth Mindset
Dive into the best practices of XR design
- Explore the convergence of art and technology in this realm
- Learn to differentiate between XR, AR, MR and the Metaverse
- Gain hands-on knowledge about different headset options to help you make informed design decisions
Practise applying the step-by-step XR design process
- Unity for Mobile AR
- Installing & Setting up Unity
- Demo: Up and Ready in Unity
Project 1 - Assignment #01: Unity Setup
Practise applying the step-by-step XR design process
- Become familiar with essential tools employed by XR designers
- Grasp the significance of problem-solving within the XR context
- Effectively utilise grey boxing and body-storming techniques
Project 1 - Assignment #02: Design your Ideas
Work on utilising Unity for animation within the AR/VR domain
- Gain a broader perspective on the art and techniques within animation
- Become proficient in employing Unity's Timeline to synchronise and sequence events and animations
- Apply new skills collaboratively to enhance projects and ensure it provides dynamic and engaging results for end-users
Guest Speaker: Animation
Workshop: Collaboration to improve on your Metaverse Project
Initiate the prototyping phase for an AR experience, evaluate user experiences from project, embrace the importance of rapid iteration in the design process, gain proficiency with essential XR design tools like Unity and MRTK.
- Prototyping & Visual Scripting
- Rapid Iteration
- Tools of the XR Designer: Unity and MRTK
Demo: Add models, reuse MRTK Assets, sound and animation basics.
Project 1 - Assignment #03: Visual Scripting and Avatar
Explore the importance of collaboration, incorporate innovative applications into prototyping, refine initial greybox experiences by leveraging collective feedback and expertise, and gain practical experience on viewing and testing prototypes
- Working with Developers, Data Science and other teams
- Use of OpenAI & Neural Voice
- Demo: View your AR prototype on Device
Workshop: Collaboration to improve on your Greybox Basic Experience
[Optional] Assignment #04: Incorporating OpenAI
Learn how architectural and spatial design principles can be implemented in an XR context
- Use common tools to build out a virtual world
- Become familiar with XR Design for Spatial
- Understand Level Design
- Learn about Floor Plans and Way-Finding
Project 2 - Assignment #05: Assignment #05: XRI Toolkit & Mesh
Begin to cultivate a deeper appreciation for the artistic elements integral to AR/VR design
- Infuse your authentic self into projects
- Master the use of moodboards
- Gain expertise in selecting and working with appropriate materials and models
Project 2 - Assignment #06: Art Direct and Prototype your World
Gain understanding of the role that light and sound play in crafting immersive AR/VR experiences
- Draw inspiration from innovative immersive theatre concepts
- Utilise sound to guide and influence user navigation and emotion
- Acquire practical skills in integrating and manipulating light and sound within the Unity platform
Workshop: Basics of Light and Sound in Unity
Project 2 - Assignment #07: Light & Sound
Understand the implications and benefits of digital twins.
- Deep dive into exemplars such as ISS Project and Melbourne Digital Twin
- Set up a Digital Twin and connect it to relevant data sources
Demo: ISS Project Set-up and connecting the data
Assignment #08: Digital Twin
Comprehend the foundational theories underpinning effective UI in XR
- Seek to ensure optimal user experiences with knowledge of tools like MRTK
- Craft interactive elements tailored for XR platforms
- Master the transition process of bringing UI designs from Figma to Unity
- Demo: From Figma to Unity - Slicing UI elements
Harness the power of storytelling to compellingly present and pitch XR ideas
- Learn to craft clear and impactful vision statements
- Explore effective storytelling in the XR industry
- Receive guidance in assembling a captivating portfolio and refining your pitching techniques
Workshop: Making a Portfolio & Pitching your Idea
Assignment #10: Building your Portfolio
Present your portfolio to the class utilising effective and captivating storytelling techniques.
Present your portfolio to the class utilising effective and captivating storytelling techniques and wrap-up the course.
- Portfolio Pitch