FINTECH PRODUCT DESIGN COURSE
21ST FEB -
10TH APR 2024
MONDAYS & WEDNESDAYS
6 PM GMT
Did you know that the UK currently ranks 4th in the world for the most FinTech unicorns? Or that the current sector contributes £11 billion to the UK economy? Engage yourself in a journey to help pivot your role or make the leap into this rapidly evolving and expanding industry.
Join Maya Weinstein, Design Director at Klarna, for this deep dive into key concepts- from becoming proficient in FinTech fundamentals to gaining the capacity to align business goals with FinTech product design.
WHO THIS COURSE IS FOR
YOU WANT TO PURSUE MORE LUCRATIVE JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Are you a Product Designer or UX/UI designer seeking to acquire specialised FinTech knowledge to accelerate your ascent? Take invaluable steps to building your network within the FinTech community and expand your portfolio to include FinTech specific projects.
YOU WANT TO DELVE DEEPER INTO PRODUCT DESIGN
Grasp the opportunity to evolve your design skill set and gain expertise in a rapidly growing industry. You’ll learn FinTech specific methodologies as well as working on a FinTech project and portfolio to consolidate your skill development.
YOU WANT TO EXPAND YOUR LEARNING AND CAREER PROSPECTS
Product Designers already working in the FinTech industry can continue their learning and improve both their portfolio and CV. By working with a renowned industry leader and gaining access to workshops and 2 guest speakers, you can expect to leave the course with a fresh outlook.
Ready to expand and diversify your current skill set?
Understand the niche aspects of the FinTech industry and how you can carve out your career path to harness the wealth of opportunities available. Led by an industry expert, you’ll gain a deeper understanding into what it takes to succeed - as well as a strategy deck and portfolio to use in future job interviews.
Accelerate, upskill and pivot into FinTech
Our live online course has been designed to bring you the unique skills you need to understand and excel in this booming industry. Combining hands-on expert guidance, interactive workshops and guest speakers, you’ll gain a range of hard, soft and career skills to set you up for success.
Not only will you have access to an expert instructor throughout your 14 live lessons, you’ll also get the opportunity to hear from 2 guest speakers with a wide range of experience in the FinTech industry.
- Design Director at Klarna
- Previously worked as a Design Lead for both Spotify and IBM, creating cultures of design forward thinking
- Multiple time conference speaker
- Masters in Design & Technology from Parsons School of Design
- Worked hands-on at IBM with early stage AI tools
- Study the features and functionality of a Fintech app from a design perspective
- Understand how FinTech is a unique industry for Product Designers
- Learn how FinTech Product Designers differ from other Product Designers
- Identify the main responsibilities of a FinTech Product Designer
Workshop 1: Group Breakout Session to discuss experience with Creative Case study: Rich features and UX/UI design of a FinTech app (Revolut)
Discussion: Identify potential improvements for a simple design of a digital wallet or crypto exchange.
- Explore key terms and core concepts including Digital Banking, AI & ML, and Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Technologies
- Understand the current FinTech market in the UK
- Identify emerging trends: AI-driven financial advice, BNPL vs PN in the market
Discussion: Current trends and technologies:
- How EU regulation impacts BNPL
- How AI will influence FinTech
Assignment #1: Research a FinTech app. Provide an analysis of the app, what works, what doesn’t and what would you change if you designed the app.
- Learn how to apply design to FinTech: Empathise, define, ideate, prototype, test.
- Identify UX/UI Design principles for FinTech
- Explore FinTech-specific design challenges including risk analysis and design clarity in complex financial scenarios
- Delve into Branding and Design Language
Discussion: Understanding a given product strategy and the user problem. Discuss a few of the apps chosen in Assignment #1.
- Understand KPIs in identifying metrics to evaluate FinTech product success
- Learn to find the Unique Selling Point and ask the right questions
- Grasp how to align business needs using market research
- Practise how to do a proper competitive analysis
Assignment #2: Conduct a competitive analysis of popular Fintech apps
Understand different user research methodologies including:
- Card sorting
- Diary studies
- Qualitative vs quantitative research
- Learn when to apply different methodologies and why
Workshop: Delve into how to identify what research is needed when
- Understand the ideation process within FinTech Product Design
- Identify and explore ideation techniques and tools
Demo: How to facilitate a Figjam design jam
Discussion: Review the competitive analysis. Discuss gaps in the market and areas for opportunity in FinTech
Assignment #3: Come up with 3-5 ideas for a new FinTech experience.
- Learn the process of turning ideas into products
- Understand product briefs, 6-pagers and how to work with them
- Start to craft strategies from ideas
- Grasp how to create a product architecture and user flow
Demo: Explore the jobs to be done in crafting a product architecture
Workshop: Create a user journey / user flow for an idea
[Optional] Assignment #4: Light-weight user flow
- Learn to apply UX principles to Fintech
- Explore User interface approaches: Interaction design
- Consider the user within Information Architecture, gamification for motivation and financial visualisation
- Understand usability principles and micro-interactionsh
- Delve into accessibility design
Demo: Consider the design principles at FinTech companies and how they are applied (e.g. Monzo, Revolut, PayPal)
Assignment #5: Create several screens that show the key features of your Fintech experience
- Understand what underwriting is and why it is important
- Delve into risk assessment and what it’s all about
Guest speaker: Alex McSweeney
Assignment #6: Create a strategy deck for your product to present to stakeholders
- Understand the importance of designing for security: SCA vs MFA
- Delve into consumer duty in the UK
- Learn about the transparency around data usage and open banking
- Study positive moments of friction
Case study: Take a look at different examples of multi-factor authentication including Amex and Apple Pay.
[Optional] Assignment #7: Identify and design positive moments of friction for your product
- Learn how to test for usability
- Implement iterative and collaborative processes
- Understand how to conduct user interviews for an MVP
- Delve into data-driven design: A/B testing
Demo: Usability testing plan
Assignment #8: Write up a test plan for your productCase Studies: Microsoft XBox; Google; Refuge; Metro Trains Melbourne
- Appreciate the need for cross-discipline collaboration
- Understand the roles and responsibilities in cross-functional teams
- Learn tools for effective communication and negotiation
- Grasp how to address stakeholder concerns
Guest Speaker: Collaboration and feedback in cross-functional teamsGuest Speaker: Newly Promoted Creative Director
- Learn how to present, demo your work and get the feedback you need to progress
- Set expectations and learn to cater to your audience
- Understand what fidelity to use
Workshop: Identify your audience, their needs and structure your demo accordingly
- Build a professional FinTech Portfolio to show future employers
- Gain career insights from an industry expert
- Receive CV and interview guidance